Monday, August 19, 2013

Oh so Trent's Got a New Song, Huh?

NIN fans are LOSING THEIR SHIT over this one:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2013/08/19/213497724/new-music-nine-inch-nails-earl-sweatshirt-juana-molina-more

It's a happy, upbeat NIN song...in other words, it is the END OF THE WORLD.


It's gotten to the point where some people are demanding that this song be removed from the album and replaced with some old song they prefer.  LOLOLOLOLOL  I'm sure Trent and Co. will get right on that.

I have to admit, this song was quite a surprise.  But I really like what he's doing with the melody and the 80s pop sound.  It's definitely a much easier track to embrace upon first listen than "Came Back Haunted."  I know this is a departure from Trent's usual style, but why should he (and NIN) be limited expressing the following sentiments:

--I'm sad
--I'm angry
--I'm angry that I'm sad
--I'm sad that I'm angry
--I'm horny
--I'm sad that I'm horny
--I'm angry that I'm horny
--Being sad and angry makes me horny

Now when it comes to documenting the above emotions, Trent is a MASTER.  But I think we should keep our minds open and allow him to explore other aspects of the human condition.   A person has every right to not like any given song.  (StarFuckers Inc. = BLERGH)  But it's cracking me up that people have such angst over Trent releasing what sounds to be a peppy, feel-good song.

You don't HAVE to go on this particular journey with him.  The old albums are still there for you, if that's what you prefer.  As for me, I can't wait to hear the rest of this album.  And laugh at the goth hysteria.  



No comments: